how to build Spamassassin

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Mon Dec 8 22:12:50 PST 2003

Hi.

Over time I've got into the habit of either using packages or building
directly from the source.  Last time I tried this (Postfix) and asked a Q
here, I was rapped over the knuckles :-) and told to use the Ports.

Right now I'm trying to build spamassassin, so I decided I'd be good and do
it the Ports way.

My current system is 4.9-PRERELEASE #5,  upgraded for many years from src
using CTM.

- Read the handbook, ran /stand/sysinstall to get the ports tree, this failed
  not finding the download location on ftp.freebsd.org and telling me to
  manually change it

- So I went and got it manually.   Was a little confused as many years ago
  I recalled their being a ports tree per release.  Now ports-stable and
  ports-current both point to ports.

- I downloaded ports,tar.gz.   Unpacked it and changed into
ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin"

- Did a make which immediately failed with

"Makefile", line 27: Malformed conditional (${PERL_LEVEL} < 500600)
"Makefile", line 27: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 31: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 31: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 33: Malformed conditional (${PERL_LEVEL} < 500800)
"Makefile", line 33: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 35: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 35: Need an operator

I recalled being able to make individual ports this way in the past.

So, this not working, I went and grabbed the sources for Mail-SpamAssassin-2.60
and figured I'd try building it manually.

trying: perl -MCPAN -e shell  (which is the INSTALL files recommended way)
just generated lots of messages telling me to install Bundle::libnet ASAP
and when I did, it failed to install and seems to have messed up the perl
packages on my system.

So, two questions:

1) How can I reinstall perl 5.005_03 (make install from /usr/src)
2) Once I have the perl restored,  what is the best way to install SpamAssassin
on 4.9 ?

Thanks

Tony (who hates perl)