Console resolution

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Mon Dec 8 13:11:12 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 09:35:57PM +0100, Aleksander Rozman - Andy wrote:
> Problem is that this notebok Toshiba, has *very* ugly system font. On
> RedHat I solved this problem, by giving higher resolution to text mode
> (which I what I would like to do here). I am wondering if this is also
> possible on freebsd. I use text mode a lot, so this is quite important, I
> use Xwindows only if I must...
You can try playing with the various /etc/rc.conf settings to tweak
console display.  I have this in mine:

keymap="uk.cp850"
keyrate="fast"
font8x8="swiss-8x8"
allscreens_flags="80x50"

This is ok for me here in the UK - you might have to play around with
different fonts if you use a different keymap.  The screen flags setting
just changes the display to 80x50 instead of the default 80x25.

Note you can test those settings out from the console using kbdcontrol.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/