ls and color

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 02:13:53 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:38:07AM -0700, Robin Schoonover wrote:

> However, ls does have to lookup how to display the color.  The 'xterm'
> terminal name in 4.x does not have color, so you have to tell xterm use
> 'xterm-color', which does have it.  This amounts to doing something
> like "xterm -tn xterm-color".  (I've been using 5.1 lately, so if this was
> MFC'd recently I wouldn't really know)

The xterm terminal type is now identical to xterm-color and has been
since April, including on the RELENG_4 branch.

If you're running 4.8-STABLE or one of the releases from before that
date, you can use this setting in your .Xdefaults to change the
terminal type to xterm-color by default:

    xterm*termName:         xterm-color

but you should make sure that you run something like:

    [ -f ${HOME}/.Xdefaults ] && /usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb -merge ${HOME}/.Xdefaults

in your ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way