Why would drive run at UDMA33? (Segate 80GB)

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Sun Dec 7 22:20:56 PST 2003

On Dec 7, 2003, at 10:07 PM, JacobRhoden wrote:

> I typed 'man atacontrol' and it didnt seem to help! (grin). Seriously,
> i had a
> look and worked out how to list/display the modes of drives,  and i am
> not
> sure what commands i would type to help fix the speed?

      mode     Without the two mode arguments, the current transfer
modes of
               both devices are printed.  If the mode arguments are
given, the
               ATA driver is asked to change the transfer modes to those
given.
               The ATA driver will reject modes that are not supported
by the
               hardware.  Modes are given like ``PIO3'', ``udma2'',
               ``udma100'', case does not matter.  If one of the devices
mode
               should not be changed, use a nonexisting mode as argument
(i.e.
               ``XXX''), and the mode will remain unchanged.

               Currently supported modes are: BIOSDMA, PIO0 (alias
BIOSPIO),
               PIO1, PIO2, PIO3, PIO4, WDMA2, UDMA2 (alias UDMA33), UDMA4
               (alias UDMA66), UDMA5 (alias UDMA100) and UDMA6 (alias
UDMA133).

So you can type 'atacontrol mode <channel> <mode where mode is one of
the options listed>' and change the speed, at some potential risk, as
the man page warns.