which tool for a screenshot?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Dec 7 12:46:08 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:27:40AM +0000, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> At Sat, 6 Dec 2003 it looks like Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. composed:
>

> > Looks like:
> >
> > 1.  Click File menu
> > 2.  Click Acquire
> > 3.  Select "screen shot" and follow prompts.
> >

> In another Unix OS I used to use the following command from a
> xterm window and it would shoot the whole desktop and save it to
> the file I named in the command line.
>

> import -window root image.jpg
>
> I don't seem to have the "import" command on FreeBSD.

	Looks like 'import' is part of ImageMagick:

	From man import::

AUTHORS
       John Cristy, ImageMagick Studio LLC,
       Glenn Randers-Pehrson, ImageMagick Studio LLC.

       Lives in the /usr/local/bin directory.

       If you do an % import test.jpeg and then position the "+"
       cursor and draw out the rectangle with the left mousebutton,
       import will capture a JPEG image of thar rectangle.

       Thanks for the reminder; I'm making notes this time...

       gary

   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix