SCSI--LVD vs SE...

lists at battleface.com lists at battleface.com
Sun Dec 7 09:30:59 PST 2003

Am I understanding this right?...

Concerning SCSI, are LVD and SE (single ended) mutually exclusive? That
is, if I have a system that supports LVD drives, I want to configure
those drives for LVD and not SE which would yield a smaller bandwidth?
Like 1/2 at best, right?

Finally, I have a Tyan S2468UNG motherboard with Ultra160 SCSI onboard
(dual channel). I'm looking at pairing two Seagate 15K.3 (ST336753LW)
drives with this board. Are these a good choice? Would I get better
performance from having both drives on the same channel (and so,
cable)? or would it be better to put one on channel A and the other on
channel B (separate cables)?

In the future I would like to add a third LVD drive (probably the same
model with larger capacity). Again, all on the same channel? or split
to second channel? I'm guessing the dual channel approach would yield
better performance when writing across separate physical disks.
Especially if three drives are involved.

As always this list is a great resource.
Thanks.

Alex