It's very relevant replying me, please

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Dec 7 03:14:47 PST 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 05:33 am, camuflag wrote:
> Dear Mr..
>
> My name is Ziad Fazah. Indeed, after having installed Freebsd version
> 5.1 on my pc, I found out that  its kernel had detected all my hardware
> cards. Meanwhile, on having ended up the installation on my pc, I
> noticed that by clicking on exit sysinstall and removing my CD in order
> to reboot the system, the installation itself didn't led me into a
> graphical environment. Unfortunately, it left me in a shell, wherein it
> was written  Grub. Thus, I do ask you urgently what to do, in the sense
> of being led into a graphical environment. Moreover, only twice, I
> managed to get at the login and the password successfully, but
> afterwards, I couldn't go further. On the other hand, my attempts foiled
> to get at the graphical environment. Don't you think that it might be a
> certain mistake of this version? Please, help me.
>
>                                              Sincerely,
>                          Ziad Fazah

Unix by itself is a command line environment (cli). You change this by
installing ports such as XFree86. XFree86 is not much better than the cli.
You just have 3 cli's on the monitor at one time.

You can improve on this by adding Window environments such as Gnome and KDE.
The system I use has a resonable fast cpu and quite a bit of memory and I use
KDE-3.1.4. While I type this, XFree86 is using 75MB of memory and there are a
number of kde processes that are using ~23 MB each. Kmail is using 32 MB.
This system has 1048 MB of memory. FreeBSD is content with less but is much
happier when you have more memory.

If you are going to install XFree86, you need to learn about the port system
and X-Windows. They are chapter 4 and 5 in the Handbook. If you aren't
comfortable with English, there are other choices off of the main home page
at http://www.freebsd.org/.

I don't know where to point you because I don't know what computer skills you
have. Annelise Anderson has an article called "For People New to Both FreeBSD
and UNIX". It can be read at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/new-users/. There are also
answers to Frequently Asked Question at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html