ls and color

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Dec 5 11:42:55 PST 2003

Mike Maltese wrote:

>>Is there a how to on making ls show colors or a web pages. Thanks.
>>

>Well., there's ls -G, but you could have found that in the man page, right?
>
>ls is not a web browser. Try www/lynx. if you want to grab a web page, try
>fetch or ftp/wget.

I think the OP meant "is there a how-to or a web page on
making 'ls' show colors?"

ls -G is the standard option, as man page says, equivalent
to setting CLICOLOR in your environment.

Some terminals (under X perhaps) don't handle this environment
variable without some tweaking, though, I think..... ??

KDK