FreeBSD Version...

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Fri Dec 5 09:41:41 PST 2003

> I am wondering why there was 4.9 release if the newest one it 5.1.
> Whick is better I am currently on 5.1. It's a little confusing. Well
> there be a 4.10 and 5.2 release at the same time?

4.9 is the stable production release, while 5.1 (and in a few weeks,
5.2) is the development release that will eventually become the stable
release. FreeBSD 4 will be developed (well, maintained, since few new
features are added to it at this time, mostly driver updates from what
I've seen) until the development team thinks FreeBSD 5 at least as
fast and rock solid as FreeBSD 4. This is planned to happen when FreeBSD
5.3 released; at that point, active development for FreeBSD 4 will
halt.

FreeBSD 5.1 is a development release. While it runs OK for most people,
some architectural things are going to change with 5.2 and 5.3, and
you're advised not to rely on it with your critical stuff, but use 4.9
instead.

Hope this clears things up.

Greetings
Benjamin