localhost pingable, inaccessible on browser

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Fri Dec 5 06:21:49 PST 2003

At 09:02 AM 12/5/2003, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Sounds like you don't have an http server running on the machine.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Apache2's running and afaik working well
excepting this issue.

>If you do, then maybe a local firewall is getting in the way.

ipfw isn't running. What are the other possibilities?

>Do you try http://127.0.0.1/ or http://localhost/ ? In the second
>case, you may have an IPv6 problem.

Have tried both. I'm speculating that my local dns isn't working at all,
and http://swamisalami works because it's also defined on the hosts file of
the xp box on my lan which happens to have the dial up connection and so
acts as the funnel for dns lookup via my isp. As you can see am very new to
this and trying to understand how my own set up is actually working.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site