Out of pty's

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 4 18:56:50 PST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:30, DG wrote:
> [...]

I believe this may be out of date. I think the kernel may now
produce 256 by default -- I'm on 4.7-STABLE and more than 32 exist for me.

>  # cd /dev
>  # sh MAKEDEV pty{1,2,3,4,5,6,7}
>
>        to make 256 device nodes for the new terminals.

On 4.x certainly need this to create more devices. I don't know if you need to
do something with devfs in 5.x, but 5.x doesn't have MAKEDEV.

>     3. Edit /etc/ttys and add lines for each of the 256 terminals. They
>        should match the form of the existing entries, i.e. they look like
>
>  ttyqc none network
>
>        The order of the letter designations is tty[pqrsPQRS][0-9a-v], using
>        regular expression.

I found these already in my default ttys

>     4. Reboot the system with the new kernel and you are ready to go.
>
> Dave

Malcolm