Out of pty's

Justin Burke mlist-freebsd-questions at alt255.com
Thu Dec 4 15:25:56 PST 2003

* Jez Hancock (jez.hancock at munk.nu) wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:28:36PM -0800, Justin Burke wrote:
> > Looks like my system is running out of free pty's. There are a bunch of
> > users on the system running screen, so we are using up a ton of the
> > ptys.
> >
> > How do I find out the limit of ptys on my system? (sysctl doesn't
> > seem to show anything relevant.)
> I believe you can increase the number of ptys by modifying /etc/ttys -
> from looking at my /etc/ttys file it looks as though once the ttyp* ttys
> are used up, the tty monniker changes to ttyq* etc...
>
> > How do I increase that value? The pseudo-pty value in the kernel config
> > has no assigned value (ie. we are using the default).... but what is the
> > default?
> Again I believe this is down to /etc/ttys.

Hi Jez,

/etc/ttys lists a ton of pseudo terminals, which is great. However,
after opening up 32 pseudo terminals (/dev/ptyp[0-9] and
/dev/ptyp[a-v]]), none of the other terminals are used (eg. /dev/ptyq*).
How do I get the system to start using those devices?

(The /etc/ttys entries for /dev/ttyp* are identical to the /dev/ttyq*
entries.)

Justin