can ping, can't download through firewall

Garry Hill garry at ascii-turf.net
Thu Dec 4 12:31:58 PST 2003

thanks for the advice.

>natd_interface=" rl0"    fix this statement   there should not be
>space between first quote and rl0    "  rl0"  "rl0"

the space comes from me copying and pasting from a website, not from my config files. that space was never in my config files.

>What happens if you boot using the original generic kernel with no
>firewall enable statements in rc.conf?  IE: kernel without IPFW or
>IPFILTER compiled in. Do you have total access to public internet

with generic kernel and no firewall it's the same situation. pingo-rama but no downloads.

the response isn't even consistent. doing a "fetch -v http://207.126.111.202/index.html" (which is rheet.mozilla.or) sometimes (more often than not) it gets to the "requesting http://..." but no more but then sometimes it gets as far as "receiving..." but never gets more than 1024 bytes.

but, the good news is, i figured it out. it was the bloody cable after all that. the ifconfig was showing up as "100baseTX" but not "100baseTX <full-duplex>" but what really pointed it out was the lack of a link status light when i tried a different ethernet card. so somewhere in that cable something is broken, i just don't know where. changing the plastic bits hasn't helped. the strangest thing is that it works (is working right now) without a hitch here on my mac - must be that the mac drivers/nic are more robust/less fussy than the i386/8139/freebsd counterparts. i don't know enough about full- or half- duplex to make more sense out of it.

so, after two days of racking my brains and beating my head against various bits of brick and styrofoam padding we're back on track.

thanks again,