Obtaining the unix o/s

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 12:12:50 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:41:36PM -0500, Dominick DiMantova wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> > If you are thinking of downloading a CD, then you're looking
> > for an "ISO image" file.  IIRC, there are some folders or links to
> > folders fairly clearly marked according to system architecture;
> > for Intel (PC compatible) machines, look for "i386".  After that,
> > the catch would be, "do I want 4.x, or 5.x" and, after that's
> > decided, there are a couple of other options such as
> > "the MINI ISO", the "standard ISO", etc.
> >

> >   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386

> All I need to do is burn the iso images to my CD's and I've got the
> entgire freebsd unix o/s? After that, is it going to be quite a process to
> install the software, or am I better off spending 60 bucks and get the
> CD's from a retailer?

After downloading the ISO images and burning them to CD, you will have
essentially the same thing as the first two disks of the four disk
sets that you can spend $60 to buy from a retailer.

Those first two disks contain the entire FreeBSD O/S plus various
extra important packages, like X windows.  Infact, you can install the
base system just using the 'mini-iso' which consists of the essential
parts of the first disk.

The remaining disks in the 4 CD set contain various precompiled
software packages: however the collection available is extensive, and
too much to fit in the space available, so only some of the most
popular stuff gets onto the CDs.

The entire collection, as well as the system images is available from
the FTP servers -- as pre-compiled packages from the (except those
packages where the license terms don't permit redistribution) and some
source tar balls -- or you can obtain source code etc. via cvsup.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way