Urgent Installation problems (CD) - DON"T HOLD YOUR BREATH

Thor Anderson thor_anderson at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 09:40:50 PST 2003

I hope you have better luck than I have, Alvin.

I am experiencing the same problems and received and tested the following
options - all to no avail.

1)  Update computer BIOS to latest version
2)  Downloaded and tested ISO files from 4.6 to 4.91 from bootable CDs (all
hang)
3)  Purchased commercial release (5.1) and tested CD (hangs after finding
boot record)
4)  Purchased USB floppy drive and created floppy boot disks (hang)
5)  Attempted to submit problem report via web (web interface is down)
6)  Attempted to submit problem report via email to the "Bugmeister"
(unacknowlaged)

In the meantime, additional testing shows:

1)  Installation CDs from Microsoft boot and install properly
2)  Installation CD created from downloaded ISO from the Fedora Project
installs properly

In my situation, I believe the problem may be related to my computer being
"legacy free".  What that means is that it does not have the traditional IO
devices that most computers have (PS/2 keyboard or mouse, serial, parallel,
or floppy interface.  All it has are USB ports for those functions.  My
guess is that the kernel included in the installation files was not built
for this situation.  In the meantime, since I do not have a working FreeBSD
system, I can not build my own kernal.

When approaching this situation, it was my desire to base my systems on a
BSD kernel.  Due to it's reputation of stability and (especially)
compatability, I chose FreeBSD.  Since that time, I have spent over $100,
many hours of testing, and significant frustration to install it - to no
avail.  The lack of support (and even responsiveness) from the FreeBSD team
after putting my money on the line to purchase the commercial release gives
me grave doubts about the viability of this distribution and the legitimacy
of the organization's compatability claims..

Good luck - and don't spend any money until it works!
Thor