SCSI Disk not found

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Wed Dec 3 18:52:58 PST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:49:05 +0900
horio shoichi <bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:12:06 -0500
> "Michael E. Mercer" <mmercer at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> > Ok. I have what looks to be two host adapters.
> > The one on the motherboard and a PCI? card.
> >
> > Not sure what exactly I am supposed to do for I have never
> > had a PC with SCSI before...
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > MeM

> > > Yes, it is. Either the host adapter has two channels or you have two host
> > > adapters in the machine. I'm not sure what card you have exactly, but my
> > > guess is that it's the former. I would crack the box open and see what's
> > > what with the SCSI configuration.

> Having two (or more) controllers is just a common practice. It is by no means
> any wrong per se. And, hooking drives in whatever controllers you have in any
> order is, again, no wrong, PROVIDED each controller sees the drives connected
> to it have respective distinguishing signatures, i.e., each drive has distinct
> target id (and unit id, but somehow disks are always assigned unit id zero).
>
> Looking back the thread, my guess is that you connected the two drives in one
> controller (whichever, I don't know) giving the drives identical target id
> (i.e., zero). So you violated the last condition.
>
> See target id on one of the drives (maybe 3-4 dipswitches if the drives are
> internal ones). Change it within [1 - 6] range. (Leave one drive with target
> zero (to speed up bootstrapping, doh) and seven since it is the id controller
> has assigned to itself).
>

> horio shoichi

Not that what I wrote doesn't work, I might have overlooked the possibility
of vendor conspir..er..discretion.

It might be that you are expected to hook each disk into respective controller,
thus all the drives have target id zero. This would make sense if the vendor
counted the failure of one of controllers, in raid (1 ?) configuration.

Try connect disks as such if you could locate another connector and one
more scsi cable.

horio shoichi