Questions about updating...

Riley J. McIntire rileyjmc at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 3 17:06:55 PST 2003

> From: rotten rottie

> I installed a box for trial it was 5.1, I wanted to see if I could use
> ports
> to update openssh for a test examp. After the port installed I noticed
> that
> another version of openssh was installed on the system. I

Bad test example. As with named, sendmail and a few others in the base
system and ports. Unless you have a need use what's in the base system.
Track -release or -stable to update. If a security issue is found you
can apply the patch which is posted with instructions at freebsd.org or
the freebsd-security list.

A couple of good ports are mentioned below if you want to play with
them.

> 1) if there are two trees(lack of better words) why would ssh exist in
> both
> the system tree and the ports tree ? Wouldnt it be better to

The system version is more likely to be better integrated and tested
than the ports version. theoretically.

> 2) I have used gentoo in the past and am curious if there is something
> simular to emerge -up world/system -- I would like to cvs the
> ports/sys
> and
> then be able to see if anything need upgrading .. is this possible ?

Check http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/errata.html for instance, to
see if an upgrade is required. Security is probably what you want to
track, at least at first.

If you use X, install /usr/ports/net/cvsup for the sys/ports trees. If
you don't use X, install /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui. See the
handbook, as others have said. Excellent doc.

> 3) Say there was a update to openssh .. which would be the
> proper way to

You might take a look at /usr/ports/security/freebsd-update. Never used
it myself but might be easier than patch or cvs.

hth,

Riley