Questions about updating...

rotten rottie r0tt13 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:39:34 PST 2003

I am a linux user that wants to switch to freebsd... I am a bit confused

about applying updates etc..

I installed a box for trial it was 5.1, I wanted to see if I could use
ports
to update openssh for a test examp. After the port installed I noticed
that
another version of openssh was installed on the system. I talked with a
friend and he said that it was part of usr/src and I could update it by
compiling the usr.bin version.. which was fine and worked. Here are my
questions:

1) if there are two trees(lack of better words) why would ssh exist in
both
the system tree and the ports tree ? Wouldnt it be better to have it in
the
ports tree ?

2) I have used gentoo in the past and am curious if there is something
simular to emerge -up world/system -- I would like to cvs the ports/sys
and
then be able to see if anything need upgrading .. is this possible ?

3) Say there was a update to openssh .. which would be the proper way to

update .. sync the sys tree and then just update ssh .. or sync the tree
and
recompile the system ? or remove the sys version and install the port
version and update the port ?

I am very happy with freebsd .. Im still in the exploring stage .. The
reasons for my questions is that I am a little weary of using freebsd in

production if I dont easily know when updates are avail, having to
recompile
the system everytime I need a patch for a service.

Thanks for helping me convert,
rottie