ADSL cannot dial ("0.0.0.0/0 already exist)

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Wed Dec 3 06:15:57 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:46:49PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just brought an ADSL modem (Alcatel Homeplus 501). This modem is
> pre-configured
> I used FreeBSD several years, but this is the first time I use ppp:
> .
> My /etc/ppp/ppp.conf is:
>
> ------
> default:
>  set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
>  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.138/0
>
> cncom:
>  set device PPPoE:ed0
>  set authname LOGINNAME
>  set authkey PASSWORD
>  set dial
>  set login
>  add default 10.0.0.138
> -------
>
> The modem is 10.0.0.138, it assigned me the address 10.0.0.1.
> Ping 10.0.0.138 has response.
>
> To dial with "ppp -ddial cncom" I get the error message:
>   0.0.0.0/0 already exist.
>
> So what should I do now?
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.9 RC3.

ppp is for calling in with a modum on a telefone network. It doesn't
work as a stand alone for a ADSL modum. There a couple of ports avalible
for ADSL modums. (pptpclient is one) But is feel its better to have
something more independed. Can you modum be setup so it connects on its
own?

I have a PPTP connection over my ADSL modum. I've configured my modum so
that it builds the connection and routes the packets though on regular
ip connection to my computer. It does take configuring of you FreeBSD
box this way.

Its proberbly best to go for something in bewain first like setting your
modum up to be a nat router.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: