openssl and key generation

dave dmehler at davemehler.com
Tue Dec 2 21:09:10 PST 2003

Hello,
 I'm trying to use openssl to do encryption with some files and to create a
key for postfix for use in authenticated smtp.
 For my first case i'm doing:
openssl enc -blowfish -in /root/etc.tar.gz -out /root/etc.tgz.bf
to try to encrypt a tar file. And for my second, trying to create a key for
use with postfix's authenticated smtp feature:
 /usr/sbin/openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes \
-config /etc/postfix/ssl/pst.cnf -out /etc/postfix/ssl/post.pem \
-keyout /etc/postfix/ssl/post.pem
/etc/postfix is a symlink to /usr/local/etc/postfix and i'm using openssl
0.9.7c
in both cases i'm getting a usage error, yet i'm following a tutorial for
this. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Dave.