Is there a guide to Upgrading a FreeBSD server remotely

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at msu.edu
Tue Dec 2 18:23:09 PST 2003

Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 03:01:36AM +0100, Denis Fortin wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>I've Google'd a bit, but I cannot find a "survival guide to upgrading
>>a FreeBSD system remotely".
>>
>>The Handbook's procedure is excellent (cvsup to the RELENG branch and
>>then make'ing world), but it requires going into single user mode and
>>using the console, two things which may not be possible in the context
>>of a server sitting unattended in a hosting center 10000 kilometers away.
>>
>>Has anyone written a quick guide on issues that can arise in this kind
>>of situation?  (For instance, one the the issues is that one might end
>>up with a bad kernel: have people devised a way for the boot code to
>>interact with "reboot -k xxx" to revert to the default kernel after an
>>unsucessful boot, or after a specific time?)
>>

> Although its not recommended to do this, it can be done. It basicaly
> comes down to following the manual (without rebooting into single
> usermode) and be very very carefull. Read everything you need to read,
> run every command you need to run and have someone sitting there in case
> it goes wrong.
>
> Note: I've never done this on a busy system.
i frequently do

#make buildworld
#make buildkernel
#make installkernel
reboot
#make installworld
#mergemaster
#reboot

on a small-ish trafficed site.  and indeed it has bit me in the ass
before.  but it *usually* works. this is not saying it will for you, but
it has for me in the past.

--
"Yesterday upon the stair I saw a man
who wasn't there, he wasn't there