scripting the buildworld/installworld process

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Fri Aug 29 16:09:37 PDT 2003

Hi,
I'm working on scripting the buildworld/installworld process.
This will keep me from messing up everything by doing it wrong or making
a typo.
I'll be glad to post the scripts for review if anyone's interested.

Right now, I have a couple of questions.

1. I realize that running buildworld/installworld manually might be
better than scripting it, as far as dealing with stops and/or errors,
but is it generally acceptable to script this process?  I can't think of
any reason not to, but I'd like some input.

2. After reading man mergemaster, I see that the -a flag will run
mergemaster automatically and leave any new files in /var/tmp/temproot.
I'd like to confirm that if I opt to run mergemaster -a, then I should
check/merge any files before leaving single user mode.  It seems like
the right thing to do...?

Thanks,
Charles