Make buildworld failure

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Wed Aug 20 05:50:05 PDT 2003

> I have /, /usr/src, and /usr/obj on 3 different HDs/controllers and
> using -j? is still 10-20% slower than not using it.. On my systems, it
> only speeded things up when I had more than 1 cpu.
>
> Kent

-j flag should speed things up on a multi-processor system quite a bit.
  It allows the work to be distributed on both processors.  I have used
it for buildworlds on freebsd 4.7 and 4.8 builds without a problem.
Perhaps it depends what OS version you are using.. maybe 5.x has
problems?  In any rate, it works and is faster on my single processor
1.2 gig celeron with 256mb ram.  (almost twice as fast actually)

I follow the handbook during builds.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)