Installation on LaVie NX - NO CD/DVD found!

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at oisca.org
Tue Aug 19 21:25:04 PDT 2003

I have a been trying to install FreeBSD 5.1 into the old NEC LaVie NX laptop
that I got from a friend...

The installations goes well until I am given an option to choose my
Installation Media - which is my builtin CD-ROM...

After selecting this Media - a warning message appears that there is "NO
CD/DVD found!", although I have already booted from it...

I tried to search the internet and found something that I think is related
to my problem...I found it in the freebsdforums.org...It says...

"The usual cause of this problem is a mis-configured CDROM drive. Many PCs
now ship with the CDROM as the slave device on the secondary IDE controller,
with no master device on that controller. This is illegal according to the
ATAPI specification, but Windows plays fast and loose with the
specification, and the BIOS ignores it when booting. This is why the BIOS
was able to see the CDROM to boot from it, but why FreeBSD cannot see it to
complete the install."

Is there anyone who encountered this problem and was able to completely
install FreeBSD...of course aside from trying to install it using ftp or
http...

Thanks for any ideas from anyone...
Rommel B. Ikeda