nmbclusters and nmbufs

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Tue Aug 19 05:52:23 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:53:57AM +0400, Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody advise me please if I want to increase nmbclusters option in
> kernel, can I just type
> 	sysctl kern.ipc.nmbclusters="16384"
> without rebooting the server, or is the only way to set the NMBCLUSTERS
> option in kernel, install the new kernel and reboot?

These variable are normaly readonly, so I think you do need to reboot.

> And secondly, also I need to increase nmbufs kernel option, but there
> seems to be no such option in LINT, what should I tweak?
> 	sysctl kern.ipc.nmbufs="32768" without rebooting
> or
> 	kern.ipc.nmbufs="32768" in /boot/loader.conf and reboot?

It does exist: options         NMBUFS=4096.

You seen to be low on a lot of resources. It could be an idee to set
``maxusers'' to a higher setting. These days a lot of varibles base
there value on maxusers.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: