Formatting a floppy

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Wed Aug 13 22:11:34 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 11:56 pm, Verghese George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried a simple command of formatting a floppy drive
> #fdformat /dev/fd0
>
> It comes up with an output
>
> Errors encountered:
>
> cyl Head Sect Error
> 0     0       1   no address mark in ID field
> 0     1       1   no address mark in ID field
> 1     0       1    no address mark in ID field
> 1     1       1   no address mark in ID field
>
> etc
> I am using freebsd 5.1. I had no such problems when I was using
> version 4.0

Me too, but have been too busy to mention it. Was able to read floppies
with the mdir and mcopy commands out of /usr/ports/emulators/mtools/
and the mformat command pretended to format a floppy but couldn't write
to it and Microsoft OS's couldn't make any sense of it. Formatting the
floppy with NT4 worked fine there but not here. FreeBSD 5.1.

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net