4.5-STABLE crash and burn

Grzegorz Czaplinski G.Czaplinski at prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl
Wed Aug 13 14:41:18 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:24:21PM -0600, acc at anthonychavez.org wrote:
> Friends:
>
> I've got a serious situation here.  I've got a 4.5-STABLE machine that
> boots with the following messages:
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ar0s1a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> exec /sbin/init: error 20
> exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
> exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20
> /stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0
>
> As you can see it dumps me into sysinstall, which pops up with "Cannot
> mount /tmp/.doc: read-only filesystem."
>
> So I start a holographic shell:
>
> # /sbin/mount -fuw /
> /sbin/mount: not found
> # ls /sbin
> ls: /sbin: Bad file descriptor
>
> So I start in single-user mode, which just dumps me back into sysinstall
> again.
>
> This is ~not~ good.  Pretty much the heart of the business (database,
> DHCP, DNS and other important services) lives on this machine.  So I
> would very much appreciate any help that anyone could offer, and of
> course, the sooner the better!

Hi!
This looks very bad.
Have you tried to take the drive off and work on it from another
system? Try to run fsck on it, but I would not encourage you to use "-y"
switch. I saw once a similar message on Solaris 8. My friend booted the
system from a cd, went to single user mode and run "fsck -y". After
that, we finished with the whole / (there was only one file system)
in /lost+found dir. That was the end.

Cheers,
	gregory
--