Regarding Modem Drivers

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 11 18:49:28 PDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:22:38 -0400, fbsd_user <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com>
wrote:

> FBSD does not natively support the MS/Winmodem you have.
> There is a port of the Linux winmodem special driver called LTMDM.
> It does not work for all winmodem chips and the documentation is
> useless.
> You will be far happier if you use an external serial modem with
> FBSD.
>
> The ltmdm port is hard to get working and is limited to a few
> winmodem chip sets and sometime it's performance sucks.
> You will save your self a lot of head aches by using an external
> serial modem or an PCI internal modem that has an onboard
> controller. Your modem is a super cheap modem marketed for the
> Windows users.

I have not tried the FreeBSD ltmdm port, so I cannot provide anything
further about its performance than fbsd_user has.  External serial modems,
even inexpensive ones, do work very nicely with FreeBSD.  However, if
purchasing a new modem does not seem reasonable to you, then you may wish
to try installing FreeBSD and the ltmdm port, and see what you think.
After all, your experience with FreeBSD and the ltmdm port, not anyone
else's, is what really matters.

Jud