sendmail_enable="NO" /"YES"/"MAYBE" ?

Richard Shea freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 11 15:42:11 PDT 2003

Thanks to both of you for your replies however this has raised another
question ! ... (see below)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:16:54 +0200, "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg"
<listsub at 401.cx> said:
> Konrad Heuer wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Richard Shea wrote:
[Original Question snipped]

> >Yes, sendmail_enable="YES" will do the job.
> >
> >FreeBSD sendmail respects the TCP wrapper config file /etc/hosts.allow;
> >you can limit access to sendmail there (look at "man 5 hosts_options").
> >
> Checkout /etc/mail/access, it allows you to control who is permitted to
> relay trough your server.

Well I discovered I think that if I don't use /etc/mail/access in fact I
cannot send mail through the FBSD box. (I get "550 5.7.1 ... Relaying
denied"). So I went an looked at /etc/mail and there is a access.sample
but not a plain access file so I copied and edited access.sample to
include a line ...

192.168.10.4 OK

... and rebooted but still I get the same error. On the system console I
get a more verbose form of the same message but also "lost input channel
from SS11232 [192.168.10.4] to MTA after rcpt" which doesn't sound too
good to me.

Am I using the access file correctly here ? Am I right in thinking that I
MUST use the access file or could I just ignore it ? Should I have
renamed access.sample to access ?

Thanks again for your help so far and any other help would be welcome.

regards

richard.