How to Merge partitions - Details

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Aug 11 09:18:42 PDT 2003

> hi,
> I'll provide some more info about the problem:
> This how it looks like now:
> disk name:      ad1                                    FDISK Partition
> Editor
> DISK Geometry:  4863 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 78124095 sectors (38146MB)
>
> Offset             Size(MB)        End     Name         PType       Desc
> Subtype    Flags
>
>    0                      0                 62        -              12
> unused        0
>    63                13311       27262304    ad1s2        8
> freebsd      165
>   27262305      12731       53335799    ad1s3        8             freebsd
> 165
>   53335800      12103       78124094    ad1s1        8             freebsd
> 165
>   78124095          0          78124999        -          12
> unused        0

It would probably be as or more useful to see a df -k output.
That would tell you your filesystems/partitions.  If you have a tape
or some other reasonably high capacity backup, you could put one
file system per tape if needed to get a place for them.  Then build
whatever you need and remake file systems and then restore stuff from
tape.   If you create a directory and cd to it before a 'restore x'
it will put everything in that directory which can be on the same
filesystem as another directory you restored something else in
which is sort of a merge while retaining the directory structure.
Then, from there you can move (mv) things around as you please as
you think of a new directory picture.

////jerry