upgrade to 4.8 STABLE - Root mount failed: 6

Brent Macnaughton Brent.Macnaughton at rdc.ab.ca
Sun Aug 10 15:10:51 PDT 2003

I am trying to upgrade my system from 4.7RELEASE to 4.8STABLE. I have
followed the instructions from the manual:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Right now, I am on step 21.4.8 Reboot into Single User Mode. I have compiled
my new kernel, and I was trying to reboot into single user mode to test the
new kernel. When I do this, I get the following error message:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
no such device 'da'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

I don't understand what is going on here. THe device /dev/da0s1a exists. I
compiled the new kernel using the same kernel config file I used to compile
my 4.7RELEASE kernel. My old kernel boots the system just fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brent.