Xclock grows and grows (Was Re: How can I check for swap space?)

Ian Dowse iedowse at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 9 06:31:26 PDT 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308080945100.4077-100000 at localhost.localdomain>, Joh
n Mills writes:
>'startx' still proceeds until it fills all available memory. In
>particular, 'top' shows the size of 'xclock' growing while other processes
>seem OK.
>2) Does this [mis]behavior sound familiar to anyone?

I've seen this before when the "fontconfig" system got confused. Try
running

  fc-cache -fv

as root. If that doesn't fix it, try:

  echo "*clock.render: false" >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XClock

This second command disables the Xrender extensions in xclock, which
I have found necessary on some systems to make xclock work at all.

Ian