ports-supfile file problem

John DeStefano deesto at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 13:35:54 PDT 2003

--- Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:
> John DeStefano <deesto at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > --- Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com>
> wrote:

> > > solutions

> > > tag=.",
> > > "tag=.".
> and
> > > got
> > >
> > > You need a collection name in the file.
> >
> > Meaning, "ports-all", or un-commenting a selection of port types?
> I've
> > got that.  I included above only the portion of the file I thought
> was
> > relevent to the 'release' problem I'm having.
>
> Meaning either one; sorry, I didn't know the bits that you didn't put
> in your message.
>
> Are you sure that ftp3.freebsd.org is a full cvsup server?  That DNS
> name doesn't guarantee cvsup service, although many of the servers
> handle both in parallel.
>
> As far as it goes, your supfile looks okay.  In case there's a weird
> parsing error, maybe you could add a "tag=." to the line with the
> collection on it, and see if it gives you any other hints.  With a
> raised verbosity level, even.
>
> Failing that, perhaps you should post your *whole* supfile, and/or
> contact the cvsup author for help.

Thanks Lowell.  Well, your suggestions made sense and at the very least
have showed me that the host name in the file was wrong... I've now
changed it to an actual cvsup mirror (cvsup3.FreeBSD.org), and also
tested the file with and without adding "tag=." after "ports-all".  But
I'm still getting the same error (Release not specified for collection
"host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org").
Here's the file excluding commented-out lines:
=====
host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
base=/usr
prefix=/usr
*default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all tag=.
======
These are the times when I feel like doing "rm -rf /"!!  :(
Thanks,
~John