How can I modify net, X configurations in 4.8-Release?

Kenzo kenzo_chin at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:27:31 PDT 2003

You don't have to run /stand/sysinstall/.
you can edit the /etc/rc.conf file as follow.
you need to remove or comment out the dhcp part.
#ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"

then, add your network config
defaultrouter="x.x.x.x"
ifconfig_xl0="inet x.x.x.x  netmask 255.255.0.0"
reboot and you should be set.

As far as X, I never install it during the setup.
Why waste time to set it up, when it's most likely out of date.
always update your ports after the setup.
go to the /usr/ports/x11 and pick a window manager.
after installing it, go to the usr's dir and create a .xinitrc file.
add the running command to start x.  If it's KDE use "exec startkde" or
"wmaker" for windowmaker.
then you need to run "XFree86 configure". It will probe your hardware and
setup some default settings.
if it works, then you can copy it to your /etc/X11 dir and tweak it as you
want.

Then type startx and it should load.
remember not to run X as root.