v 5.1 install - can't use cds because cd drive not recognized..

Bill Doherty send2bill at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:12:13 PDT 2003

help!
I purchased freeBSD 5.1 on cd and am trying to install:
created boot floppies, they work fine.
however, install instructions say that I should see a Kernal Configuration
menu that will allow me to enter details on my cd drive.....however that
part of the install process never shows up!  then, when the install process
wants to read the cd's...it says it cant read from the device...
how do I define my cd drive to freeBSD?