growfs how-to?

Scott Reese sreese at codysbooks.com
Wed Aug 6 11:15:38 PDT 2003

[please cc: me in replies as I'm not subscribed to this list.  Thank
you.]

Hello,

My old 20G drive in my 5.1-RELEASE box started to die last week, so I
got a new drive (a 40G Seagate) and used Norton Ghost to copy over
everything from the old drive to the new drive.  At the moment, FreeBSD
still thinks I've only got a 20G drive and I have 20 Gigs of unused
space.  I was thinking of using growfs in order to grow my /usr
partition to fill the rest of the drive.  I've read the man pages for
growfs, bsdlabel and fdisk but I'm a bit confused about how I should go
about using these tools to do what I want as I've never really used them
before except on a new installation.  So here are my questions:  how
safe is it to use growfs for this purpose?  Can anyone provide or does
anyone know of a good step-by-step tutorial for this sort of thing?  I
searched around on the web but couldn't find anything useful.

TIA,
Scott