FreeBSD programming question

Michael Conlen meconlen at obfuscated.net
Wed Aug 6 10:43:18 PDT 2003

select() should work for you, similar to trigering an interrupt. Instead
of triggering an ISR select() will sleep until there's an event on the
file descriptors. So you open() the device for the serial port and
select() on it. When you return from select() the return value will tell
you why you returned and you handle the situation similar to programing
for the 8250 (read from the port to see which event).

In any case, you can select() on the file descriptors for the standard
input and the serial port, though remember that STDIN uses buffered IO
and open() will return an unbuffered file descriptor, which is what
select() uses, so you need to find the unbuffered file descriptor for
the stadard IO, which is either 0, 1 or 2, but I forget which on FreeBSD
(I've been doing network daemons to much lately).

In any case, you create an FD_SET

fd_set mySet;
FD_ZERO(&mySet);
FD_SET(fd, &mySet);

where fd is the file descriptor returned from open, or the file
descriptor for the standard input.

Use the set as a read set with select along iwth a timeout. struct
timeval is

struct timeval {
        long    tv_sec;         /* seconds */
        long    tv_usec;        /* and microseconds */
};

if the pointer to the struct timeval is NULL then it waits forever. (or
until a signal causes an exit).

(Note, usleep() is often implemented using select on no file descriptors
and a timeval).

int rc;
struct timeval myTimeout;
rc = select(2, &mySet, NULL, NULL, &myTimeout);

This call will return when either timeval is up or there's data to read
on your file descriptors. Be sure to check errno if select returns -1.
When select returns the fd_set will be set to the descriptors that are
actionable. Use FD_ISSET(fd, &mySet) to see if that file descriptor is
waiting to be actioned on (read, write, or other) until you've found all
the ones that are ready (the number returned by select()) and do your thing.

There's a really great book called "Advanced Programing in the UNIX
environment" and it will show you all the system calls you ever needed
to know to work with UNIX, though it's light on the concurrency issues,
but it doesn't sound like your writing multithreaded memory shared
programs so it's no worry.

I haven't really looked at the sio driver, but I doubt it, it still
works with the 8250, which only had one IO address (tell it what you
want to do, read the result, tell it what you want to do, send it info,
tell it what you want to know, read the info it has... ...programing was
much more fun back then).