ppp woes!!

Jiger Java jigerjava at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 06:37:00 PDT 2003

Hi FreeBSD Gurus and users,
    This is my first mail to the list and am a complete stranger to FreeBSD
so forgive my newbie question. I have just taken the bold step towards
installing FreeBSD on my machine. I have 1.7GHZ Pentium with 512 MB RAM,
NVidia TNT2. I did a default install with no kernel customisation etc.
    Now I am trying to connect to Internet. Since it is still time for me to
growup to console mode connecting, I start KDE and use KPPP to connect to
the internet. BUT.....
    PPP dies unexpectedly as soon as I type in a URL in say Konqueror.
Sometimes it dies in a second of connecting. It exists with error code 1.
Then after some thought, I finally made /etc/resolv.conf since it used to
give me this warning when I stat kppp. This file is currently empty.
   Now PPP "seems to" connect but still  it is not confirmed but it did not
exit after I created this file. BUT when I type in any url in browser, it
simplly say Host not found etc. Why?
Also how do I enable "Get DNS Server Automatically" as in Windows. Please
help me I am really stuck.

Awaiting your replies,
Jiger