FreeBSD tool for network bandwidthmeasure ?

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Tue Aug 5 03:30:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:34:20PM -0700, dt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any standard (or non) FreeBSD tool that is used to measure a
> current network throughput/bandwidth? And also, what are the
> requirements to do so, and do I need to be root to run, or do I need to
> load a special kernel module?
trafshow displays network throughput in an ncurses frontend in a
console.  I don't think there are any special requirements for trafshow
- perhaps you need to have the bpf option enabled in the kernel (which
  it is by default?). Install it and try it it's in the ports under
  /usr/ports/net/trafshow.

ipfw can count network traffic using different rules, so for example you
could count all traffic bound for a certain address or interface using
something like:

	ipfw add count all from any to 192.168.0.1 80

ipfw can also (very usefully) count traffic on a per uid basis.

ipfw does have to be enabled in the kernel though.  See the handbook for
more info on this.

--
Jez

http://www.munk.nu/