On-Demand Icecast streaming

H.Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Wed Apr 30 17:36:14 PDT 2003

I'm trying to set up something for a client on our FreeBSD 4.8
machines, and am stumped as to how to get it to work.  Hopefully
someone here will have an idea.

The client has a bunch of audio recaps in MP3 format.  They want
someone to be able to come to their website, click on a link, and have
one of those recaps streamed to them.  This should be possible for an
arbitrary number of people, each listening to the same or different
streams.

I've grabbed icecast and shout from the ports tree, but can't wrap my
brain around how I'd implement the on-demand streaming.  Most
documentation I've seen is written around web radio streaming, where
you have a fixed playlist and an arbitrary number of clients listening
to the same thing, which doesn't fit what I need.

Anyone have any hints?

--Wade