XFree86 upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.3.0, any keyboard press results in mode change

Brian Behlendorf brian at hyperreal.org
Tue Apr 29 16:06:19 PDT 2003

I upgraded a workstation today previously running Gnome 2.0,
FreeBSD-STABLE as of November or so (4.7 I think),
and XFree86-4 4.2.1, to Gnome 2.2, FreeBSD 4-STABLE as of today, and
XFree86-4.3.0.  I did a make world from source, but installed Gnome and
XFree86 as packages from the 4.8-RELEASE CD.

XFree86 starts up fine, Gnome 2.2 starts up, my Eterm shells start, it all
looks great... until I try and type, and then any key I press on the
keyboard results in an X resolution mode change.  Kind of annoying, and
I'd like to fix it.  I can't find anything unusual in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

I'm still using the "keyboard" driver in my XF86Config file; I tried
changing that to "kbd" and it had no difference.  I'm about ready to rm
-rf /usr/X11R6 but I'd prefer to know exactly what's causing this.  Where
should I start looking?

	Brian