Newbie Install - Fresh Meat!!

John Murphy jfm at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 17:40:17 PDT 2003

"Dave Brock" <davidbrock at cox.net> wrote:

>Whew! What doesn't kill me will make me stronger, right?
>I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE. However, I'm having two distinct
>problems...or maybe even related for all I know!
>
>1) When I attempt install from the CD-ROM I get a Fatal Trap 12 error for my
>CD-Rom on bootup.

Before you do as BSD baby suggests and regrade to 4.8, you should look at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#NO-INSTALL-CDROM
Perhaps 5.0 reports that problem differently and it could lead to trouble
when you install 4.8.

>2) When I boot from the floppies I can make my slices and labels just fine but
>when the actual file system install begins it tells me that there was an error
>with my CD-ROM.

Did you install cd9660.ko from the driver.flp?
But really.  5.0 (or any *.0) is not for the newbie.

>It sounds to me like I'm having a CDROM driver issue but when I try to start
>over it skips the initial hardware configuation setup.

With the BIOS set to assign resources and modern hardware, you shouldn't
need to see it, but I think I remember seeing it during a 4.8 install.

John.