extract IP address and feed it into a command

Christian Stigen Larsen csl at sublevel3.org
Mon Apr 28 15:31:08 PDT 2003

Quoting DJ Boris (dj_boris at mail.ru):
| I need to extract my IP address [...] assigned by my ISP [...]
| I know that my IP always starts with zzz.zzz and if I run
|
| "ifconfig | grep zzz.zzz"

>From the top of my head, I don't know any programs that automatically spits
out IP addresses.  But you could always combine ifconfig with awk.  Say the
interface you need to query is xl0, then you might do:

	$ ifconfig xl0 inet | awk '/inet/ {print $2}'

This prints "10.0.0.2", which is the IP assigned to my box by the DHCP server.

I don't know if this is exactly what you need, but at least it should give you
some idea on using awk in such cases.  Play around, and you'll probably get
something working (or, possibly, someone else on the list gives you some
better alternative).

Dig up some info on awk if you've never heard about it before.

--
Christian Stigen Larsen -- http://sublevel3.org/~csl/ -- mob: +47 98 22 02 15