Odd behavior on 4.8-REL since installing KDE 3.1

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Mon Apr 28 13:24:49 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 09:09:32PM -0400, J. Seth Henry wrote:

[...]
> The other problem, though, is still baffling. I can't figure out what
> uptime is doing. I can understand it may be trying to read info on the
> terminal, but shouldn't it be looking at the virtual tty? Then, there is
> the strange fact that it doesn't clear after a reboot.

[...]
> > Now, when I run uptime, I get this:
> >
> > alexandria# uptime
> > uptime: /dev/dhcp0:0: No such file or directory
> > uptime: /dev/dhcp4:0: No such file or directory
> >  8:13PM  up 20:41, 0 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.04, 0.01

This is a problem with w(1)+uptime(1) and sessreg(1). FreeBSD's
w(1)+uptime(1) code doesn't co-exist peacefully with X11's sessreg.
The problem usually manifests itself if you're running kdm. The
Xstartup script for kdm invokes sessreg, which puts a utmp entry that
w(1)+uptime(1) doesn't like.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>