ntpd setup - permission denied on all public ntp-servers

Nakal nakal at web.de
Mon Apr 28 10:40:10 PDT 2003

I have read the FreeBSD handbook and tried to setup ntpd on my PC to have an
accurate time. I checked the list of public ntp servers and configured
ntp.conf like this:

server ptbtime1.ptb.de iburst
server ptbtime2.ptb.de iburst

driftfile       /etc/ntp.drift
restrict default ignore

Then I wanted to run 'ntpd -ddd -q' from the commandline. The command never
finishes to run (e.a. is not successful). And I get the following output in
my /var/log/messages:

Apr 28 18:39:40 myhost ntpd_initres[1714]: server returns a permission denied
error

What is going on? Do I need to have cryptography enabled? I think it should be
documented in the FreeBSD Handbook (it is usually a reliable source of
information).

I have tried to use authentication:

Apr 28 18:48:53 myhost ntpd[1756]: configure: keyword "crypto" unknown, line
ignored
Apr 28 18:48:53 myhost ntpd[1756]: configure: keyword "keysdir" unknown, line
ignored

but it seems it's not compiled for crypto. US-export restrictions again? Any
ideas how to solve the problem?

Martin