sendmail question

David Banning david at skytracker.ca
Sun Apr 27 21:10:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 04:53:37PM +0200, DJ Boris wrote:
> hi there,
>
> could someone please explain to me what the different statuses of the
> sendmail daemon are?
> I have been google-ing for days now to find some docs on sendmail but .....
> I have been trying to figure out what all these things actually mean.. in
> the /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> what is the difference between sendmail.cf and submit.cf .... what functions

I believe that sendmail.cf are the settings for outside mail, while
submit.cf handles local.

During earlier releases of sendmail, there was no submit.cf and
sendmail operated as root. Now sendmail by default operates with user
permissions. If you delete the submit.cf I believe it runs the old
way. This is documented in /usr/src/UPDATING, depending, of course on
the version of your system.

It is often suggested by those at sendmail -not- to alter the sendmail.cf
although many of this do it successfully. I find there is usually
a recipe that can be put in the .mc file(s).

Sendmail can get -really- complicated. I suggest stating what you
want to do, and ask for support. Often freebsd'ers just -use- it
and are not necessarily technically knowledgable in it. There is really
good support for sendmail at sendmail-questions at sendmail.org.