Dual Boot FreeBSD and Linux

stan stanb at awod.com
Sun Apr 27 17:03:03 PDT 2003

I've got a new laptop that I want to dual boot FreeBSD, and Debian Linux
on.

I installed FreeBSD specifying the boot loader, and then rebooted the
machine. I then installed Debian, specifying to leave the MBR alone, and
install LILO in /target on the linux filesystem partition.

However now when I reboot, I get a choice for Linux, but pressing that key
(happens to be F3) just beeps. I looked in the handbook, and all I could
find about this was how to make LILO do this. I've run multi boot machines
in the past using the FreeBSD bootloader, but it's been a while, and I
forget the details of making it work.

Would I be better off using LILO or the FreeBSD bootloader (or Grub)?

How can I make the FreeBSD bootloader work for this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin