Time Problem in 5.0

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Apr 25 13:33:08 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Apr 25), Bill Moran said:
> I'm going to repeat myself here:
> ntpdate is depreciated.  The functionality in it is duplicated by
> ntpd. It shouldn't even be in the 5.0 tree.  I'm considering filing a
> pr to request that it be removed.  Opinions?

ntpdate has two nice features:

1 - It runs in under a second.  This is useful during the startup
    sequence, so you know all of your daemons come up with the right
    time.  "ntpd -q" took 3 and 5 1/2 minutes to return my prompt on
    tests on two different machines.

2 - It accepts IP numbers on the commandline, so you don't need a
    config file to just get your time synched while you're setting a
    machine up or just want to test.

Dave Mills has also deprecated the manpages, but enough people find
them useful that FreeBSD and Debian still ship them.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com