WE HAVE GOT FREEBSD!

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Fri Apr 25 11:49:15 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, John Johnson wrote:

> Hello All,I/we wish to thank you all for your tremendous contribution
> so far to us. We are happy to inform that we have just gotten a copy
> of FreeBSD (sorry can't mention the name).

I thought the guy down in South Africa was going to send you one?
(Can't remember his name right now, could look it up).  Unless whoever
sent it to you specifically wanted to be anonymous, don't worry to about
thanking him publicly.  I'd have sent you one, if I'd had a job and a
disposable income, instead of sitting here with some old PCs and a big
bag of rice :-)

> We really really thank everyone for their time and mails.We wish to
> further implore everybodys continued help in setting up a mail
> server.FreeBSD whizzes amongst us had started installing the software
> to study it. We are also downloading the FreeBSD Handbook (page by
> page, for our use only, I hope it does not infringe on some rights)

I'm sure you're not infringing anyones rights.  AFAIK the handbook is
there to be used.  I mirror it on my own PC using the cvsup-mirror port,
so when I want to check the handbook or cvsup I can do so over the lan
or from localhost.

> There is practically no book available in Sierra Leone on FreeBSD.
> Pls, which ports collection or packages needs to be installed with the
> "sendmail" MTA.

Sendmail is built in to FreeBSD.  You would only need a port if you
wanted to use a different mailserver, like postfix.

IMO the handbook is better than alternative books on FreeBSD.  As for
other computer books, I think the ones published by O'Reilly are the
best.  Amazon in the US should be able to ship to Sierra Leon, if you
wanted to buy one.

> Another interesting thing is that we are thinking of using two mobile
> phone lines (Nokia 6310i with DLR3 cables) with two land phone lines.
> We have printed "Chapter 20 Electronic Mail" of the FreeBSD Handbook
> and we are studying it. Thanks once again. Wishing everybody the best.
> For and on behalf of SchoolNet Sierra Leone John Johnson

Good luck John.  If you have GSM modems to go between the mobiles and
the server, you should be able to use the sms_client port to send (and
receive?) text messages from the FreeBSD host.

Bill.

--
W. Palfreman. 			I'm looking for a job. Read my CV at:
Tel: 0771 355 0354		www.palfreman.com/william/cv-wfp2.html