How to find a library

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Fri Apr 25 06:10:59 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 01:03:34PM +0200, Simon Barner wrote:
: Since you are from a MFC background, I can imagine, that you are looking for a
: GUI toolkit, or maybe a database.

Yes, that's one of the biggest parts I need.  I still haven't decided on a
toolkit.  Any suggestions?

: > Once found, is it only a matter of including the .h file and linking?
:
: Yes, there are lots of libraries in the ports collection. When you install them,
: everything is in the right place, and they wait unpatiently for you to link
: against them :-)

Very cool.

: Most of the ports also install documentation (quite important for programming),
: either as man pages, or in $(PREFIX)/share/doc/<name of the ports>.

That's exactly what I needed to know.  Excellent!

: Okay, but what's the best way to find the library? Either search the ports
: collection for a key word (cd /usr/ports; make search key=bla), search with your
: favorite search engine, ...
: Of course, you can also ask here, which kind of library would fit your needs
: best.

What I basically am looking for is a gui toolkit that works well with C++
and looks professional.

Along with that, I need to decide on a build manager of some type.  I don't
want to depend on an IDE, nor do I want to spend time editing makefiles.  Is
autoconf a good choice for this, or is there a better alternative used more
often in BSD?

jcm
--
Consulting: If you aren't part of the solution, there is
a lot of money to be made in prolonging the problem.